Before discussing the benefits of compression stockings for venous insufficiency, we must first explain the nature of this common condition.
Blood is transported throughout the human body using a network of arteries and veins. Arteries carry blood from the heart to the other organs, and veins carry blood back to the heart.
Inside of these veins and arteries, there are valves that ensure the correct direction of blood flow. When a vein’s valve experiences a malfunction, the backward flow of blood is interrupted. This makes it difficult to transport blood back to the heart. As a result, there is an accumulation of blood. This is when venous insufficiency occurs.
What Are the Signs of Venous Insufficiency?
Symptoms of venous insufficiency include leg cramps and swelling in the legs after long hours of standing or walking. The skin on the legs may have a hard or rubbery appearance, sometimes accompanied by a wrinkly texture. There is also the prominent appearance of varicose veins.
Weakness in the ankle is another sign of venous insufficiency, along with weakness and numbness in the legs and pain in the legs and joints.
One or more of these symptoms could indicate the possibility of venous insufficiency. It is best to consult a doctor to diagnose the condition at an early stage, allowing for effective treatment.
How Do Compression Stockings Work?
Wearing a pair of compression stockings is an effective way to tackle venous insufficiency. Compression stockings offer a snug fit. This applies gentle pressure to the veins in the legs.
As a result of this compression, the veins are narrowed. The narrow passage increases the pressure of blood flow. This aids in regulating blood flow, helping to avoid the pooling of blood. This also prevents venous insufficiency from getting worse.
Compression stockings can be worn all day long during your active hours. From the time you wake up, these stockings maintain proper blood circulation in your legs.
The most common types of compression stockings include graduated stockings, non-medical support stockings, and anti-embolism variants. You can pick a suitable type based on how severe your venous insufficiency is.
What Are the Benefits of Compression Stockings for Venous Insufficiency?
Here are some of the benefits of wearing compression stockings:
- Compression stockings help drain the pooled blood in the legs. They also prevent blood from collecting. Because of this, regular use of these leggings makes varicose veins disappear slowly.
- All types of leg pain caused by interrupted blood circulation can easily be corrected with the use of compression stockings.
- Compression stockings can help relieve pain in the joints and ankle weakness. They can also prevent these issues from getting worse.
- Weakness or numbness in the legs due to improper blood circulation can be mitigated with compression stockings. Regulated blood flow keeps the legs strong.
- Compression stockings can be used as a preventive measure for patients with a risk of venous ulcers.